Rolex, a World Icon, at Baselworld 2015Print
Swiss watchmaker Rolex has joined more than a thousand other exhibitors in the Messe Basel Exhibition Centre at Baselworld 2015 to present a new-generation movement – the Calibre 3255 – and new watch models within the Oyster and Cellini collections.
The Calibre 3225 brings a new level to chronometric precision, with high-energy efficiency, great dependability and a nearly three-day power reserve. The movement was developed and is manufactured in-house. It has superlative chronometer accuracy; -2 to +2 seconds per day. The watchmaker calls is “the new-generation Rolex movement,” that “sets new standards of performance for the core characteristics of a watch movement: precision, power reserve, reliability, resistance to shocks and magnetism, as well as the ease and convenience of its adjustment.”
The first watch to receive the Calibre 3255 is the minimally (1mm in diameter) downsized Day-Date 40, a dressy classic that’s utterly versatile. It’s available in 18kt white gold, Rolex’s own Everose gold (a fade-resistant alloy), 950 platinum and 18kt yellow gold. New dial options include patterns created by laser etching a sunray finished dial that has hand-applied Roman numeral or stick hour markers. An updated “President Bracelet” design wraps the timepiece to wrists. Ceramic inserts hold the links together, an update made to improve both the wear and longevity of bracelets. With 70 hours of power reserve, that’s nearly 50 percent more than its predecessor.
Additional Rolex watches showcased include:
- Lady Datejust 28 – A refreshed, renewed Oyster case enlarged to 28mm are among the enhancements made to this elegant and feminine watch. Available in 950 platinum or 18kt yellow gold or Everose gold, the timepieces in the collection feature elaborate dials with gem-set hour markers, refined lugs and closely integrated President or Jubilee bracelets.
- 18kt Everose Yacht-Master – This model for 2015 is a chic and sporty black-and-rose-gold-tone version fitted exclusively with an Oysterflex bracelet alternative that has the resistance of a metal bracelet but the comfort of a rubber strap. It’s available in two sizes: 40mm and a new 37mm diameter, and features a black matte cerachrom ceramic bezel with raised numerals and a waterproof case. The hands and hour markers are polished Everose, as is the deployment clasp of the strap. It’s a sports watch and lifestyle item.
- Oyster Perpetual – A new 39mm size joins the Oyster family, which includes 26, 31 and 34mm and 36mm sizes. Exclusive new dials were introduced for the 26mm, 31mm and 34 sizes.
- Datejust Pearlmaster 39 – This gem-set watch measures 39mm, offering 18kt yellow and white gold models with colorful bezels set with fancy green, fancy orange and fancy pink sapphires, along with colorful dials with diamond-set 6 and 9 or fully paved dials and diamond-set bracelets. The date is easy to read in the 3 o’clock position with a Cyclops lens. The case of the Datejust Pearlmaster is crafted from a solid block of gold, with the bracelet fashioned from rounded solid links of precious metal.
- Cellini Time – Four new versions are available in this line of classic watch that’s traditional with a contemporary twist, with selections in white gold and diamonds, and Everose gold and diamonds. The double bezel watches have a finely fluted outer ring, while the inner ring is set with diamonds. Hour markers are divided by a minute track, and the faceted, sword shaped hands are 18kt gold. At its core is a self-winding chronometer. Straps of black alligator leather feature an 18ktk white or Everose gold buckle to match the watch case.
All Rolex watches are imagined and implemented in Switzerland, tested to extremes to live up to the highest expectations and backed by more than a century of innovation.